Sunday, July 17, 2005

THE INTERVIEW












The interview went great! I went in at 1:30pm and met with Bob (PAD) and Sue the (RPAD) in the conference room at Trident Regional Medical Center. The interview lasted approximately 2 hours and then they gave me a tour around the hospital and introduced me to a couple of employees. After the tour, Bob took me for a ride and brought me by the 6 off sites which are also a part of the hospital. It was fun, he also took me to Charleston Harbor, through downtown and to see some kind of new bridge that opened back up today. (Everybody in this city has been talking about that damn bridge) All and all, Charleston is a very pretty city, like a miniature New Orleans, and the cost of living in extremely cheaper than Sarasota, they don’t compare whatsoever. The people are some of the friendliest that I’ve ever seen. No one passes by you without saying hi or starting a conversation. That too, is a big difference from Sarasota. Weird.
After the tour, Bob took me out to dinner, some place called something Oyster, it was pretty good, we even had beer, and can you believe that? That’s what I call a COOL ASS interview!! Crazy stuff really does happen in the south huh.
Last night when I finally returned to the hotel room, I had an urge to go out. I got online and met Andrew; he was actually dressing up in drag for a show at Patrick’s Bar & Grill. So we talked for a little while and then he invited me to come out and meet him and his friends. Can you believe I did it? Me? Mr. doesn’t go anywhere alone?? But hey, I figured what better time than now, if I move to Charleston I’ll be moving by myself, and I’ll have to learn to do it, or I’ll be sitting home all the time. So I went, met up with Daniel and his friends Michael, Matthew & David. They were all very nice and welcoming, so if I do move here, I’ll at least now know a couple of people to hang out with.
My flight leaving from Charleston to Charlotte was scheduled to leave at 12:25, guess what, I MISSED IT. UGH!! By the time I refilled the gas in the rental car (2006 Royal Blue Hyundai Sonata, which had a sunroof and fine as hell and I’ve never liked Hyundai’s at all) and made it into the airport, with the detour on I-26, it was like 12:05. And if you ever fly, you know how much a pain in the ass it is to be late for a flight, no one at the ticket counters attempt to help you at all. So yeah, now I’m still in Charleston and it is 2:28pm, had to wait for the 2:50 flight to Charlotte, and instead of flying into Sarasota, 2 miles from my house, I have to fly into Tampa now and not get there until 6:55.
Ok, not only did I miss my first flight this morning in South Carolina, but once I got to charlotte the airplane that was supposed to be there wasn’t, it was delayed in the Bahamas or somewhere for security reasons. Finally, an hour late and the door seal or something is messed up on the plane, it’s going to be another 30 minute delay. I can’t win for losing today..
Hopefully it won’t take them long to make an offer to me for the job, I’m too impatient to wait too long. When they do, I’ll let you all know if I definitely have the job or not.
You know one thing that most companies are missing. Accountability and Appreciation. Those two things can really kept morale at high levels and employees will most probably me more apt to learn and progress within the company. The reason I wanted to talk about this is because since I have been looking and interviewing for other jobs around the country, my current manager hasn’t been too happy about the idea. Don’t you think your boss should actually back you when you want to better yourself within the company? You know what her problem is, she’s jealous that I am actually succeeding and not wanting to stay in one place for 15 years. The other thing that she doesn’t like is that I won’t be there every day to do everything that needs to be done. She’ll have to wake up, hang up the phone and do some work.
I am the current team leader over the entire registration department, well when something happens with a patient, like for instance, the employee continuously calls in sick to work, or they don’t call in within the one hour before your shift window, nothing is done. I’ve written an employee up for an occurrence once and handed it to my manager; she didn’t even go as far as to read it. Nothing was done, so this just tells that particular employee that it is perfectly fine for her to continue to ignore policies and rules. It also tells me that in my manager’s eyes, the team leader is nothing but her “bitch”, that’s it. It is somebody that is responsible, a self starter, someone that completes every job no matter what it is and how much time is available, not including covering everyone’s lunches and doing the work that they left incomplete. You know, sometimes, I’ll see an employee not utilizing a system, rather it be our collections system, Medicare system or others, so I train them on the system and let them know what they are doing wrong and what is expected of them. Well, they go to our manager, she doesn’t want to make any waves, so, she tells them different. That’s not a good way to run a department.
The accountability thing, well, a select few employees are actually held accountable for their mistakes or misfortunes. For an example is, last Wednesday we have our self pay meetings with the registration department managers, supervisors and the financial counselor. Well, Gary, our CFO interrogates Sandra our financial counselor for inpatients that are self pay and we didn’t collect anything. It isn’t always her, and a lot of the time its inaccurate information coming in at the beginning of the patient’s visit when they first sit down at registration. When I see this, I address the issue as I said before and provide the proper training. Nothing happens. My manager puts every thing off, so this works in a chain reaction and it makes me look incompetent as the next person. It totally drives me crazy! I’m done crying. Have a good one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Brettcajun said...

Awww.... Shaun. I am sorry to hear about your work problems. I thought you had it made in the shade. I guess we all have dickhead bosses. Keep your head held up. I wish you luck in this new job!

5:50 PM, July 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home